Stairlift maintenance is essential to keep your stair elevator functioning and give you full access to your home. When it starts acting up, it threatens the promises of continued mobility and safety. The benefits of stairlift maintenance in Binghamton, NY far outweigh the costs, and we recommend scheduling these adjustments once a year. Here are six problems you avoid by staying current with repairs and maintenance:
- Getting stuck: If you live alone, the last thing you need is for the stair elevator to get stuck in the middle of a stairway or near the top. You face this possibility when you notice the lift runs slowly or stops while ascending the staircase. Slowing down or stopping is a sign that the lift batteries are not charging and need replacement soon. An experienced technician can check the power supply, install new batteries and inspect safety circuits so you remain safely mobile.
- Scraping noises: Scraping noises never indicate anything good. The most common cause of scraping is worn rollers, and you will continue to damage them if you do not address them soon. Another reason is misalignment—moving parts may become loose and start disconnecting as the stairlift faces more demand. The technician can replace parts, realign components or simply add lubrication where needed.
- Wear and tear: Like copy machines, cars and computers, stairlifts age. As they do, they develop exposed wires, cracked casings and broken seat springs. Covers may rattle around as their fasteners break or loosen. If you schedule maintenance once a year, the technician can find this wear and tear and fix it before it becomes a catastrophic issue. Otherwise, you risk your chair failing mid-lift or find it does not work at all one day. Addressing repairs is always less expensive than replacing your chair elevator!
- Black or gray dust: This has nothing to do with your housekeeping skills! Chairlifts develop black or gray dust because belts, fittings or lift housing disintegrates. As this deterioration continues, you will notice compromised operation. Call for repairs immediately if you see this issue.
- Poor handling: As you ride in your chair, you will notice how it handles. You will soon develop expectations for regular operation. If this changes, it’s likely time for maintenance. Symptoms of poor handling include grinding, vibrating, slower movement and new sounds. Anything that is unusual about your chair’s operation and comfort needs the attention of a service technician.
- Beeping or chirping: These sounds are warning noises. They indicate the batteries are not charging. If you hear these sounds, first check that the chair is plugged into the outlet. If not, plug it in and see if the alarms stop. Continuing alarms indicate a faulty power supply, and you need a technician to replace the power supply and batteries.
Penn York Medical is the premier company for stairway elevator installation and sales in Binghamton, NY. For more than 60 years, we’ve helped clients become more mobile from home with new devices and regular service. Call us today to enjoy the benefits of stairlift maintenance!